Thursday, November 30, 2006

Frustration

Well I auditioned a drummer last night for my doom metal band and the guy had no fucking clue how to play doom metal. I guess I didn't make it clear enough to him that the music I am writing is primarily doom metal and requires a drummer who can keep a steady beat at an extremely slow tempo. Perhaps the dude thought he could handle it but much to his surprise, playing accurately at tempos below 60 BPM is more difficult than one would expect. He told me that he had never heard music like that before and thought that he could learn how to play it. I tried to count off the tempos to him before I started playing the riffs but he seemed to want to go twice as fast as I wanted to go. Maybe I am being a little too picky but I want a drummer who knows the style from the get go so that the band can quickly mobilize in the creative process. The last thing I want to deal with at this point is teaching someone how to play this type of music. I need talented musicians who can quickly adjust to this style if they haven't already played it in the past.

So I am back at square one again. I am thinking that I will probably just become the drummer because I doubt I will be able to find any percussionist in the area who can faithfully play this kind of music. That leaves me with trying to find a bassist, vocalist, and guitarist. If any of you knows any talented musicians or are a talented musician yourself who plays these instruments and live in Minnesota, please let me know. I am going to make a poster to hang up in local music shops and on campus. I will use the following criteria. The following qualifications are of utmost importance:

1.)Have a developed understanding of music theory including chords, scales, modes, time signatures, and song writing ability.

2.)Possess previous experience as a member of a rock or metal band.

3.)Have a good attitude and dedicated work ethic. Egos are NOT welcome!!

4.)Own equipment and have a means of transportation.

5.)Encompass an open mind and can work democratically with other people.

6.)Are willing to set aside 2-4 evenings a week to rehearse plus weekend and night time gigging.

7.)You must be at least competent on your instrument. Virtuosity is not necessarily required though it will make you a better candidate.

8.)Most importantly, you must have some sort of prior knowledge of heavy metal and must be a fan of Black Sabbath. If you do not like Black Sabbath than please do not apply.

I feel like my quest to form a band is becoming completely futile. I hope that these posters will turn up some people who want to make this kind of music. If not, I guess that the project will have to go on the back burner until Sasha and I move to Seattle in 2008. Then maybe it will come together.

As for the other band I am currently working on with Aaron, we have completely changed direction once again. Aaron decided that he did not want to reunite Enshrined but rather try and work around Chris's schedule with Cult of the Undead. Personally I do not foresee this working out and the outlook for this project is even more grim than the doom metal band I am putting together. I don't see how it will be possible for Chris to work with us when he is already in a band that plays 3 days a week and gigs almost every weekend. That does not leave very much time for him to work with us.

I am now considering backing away from this band to focus my energies on forming my own band. I am extremely frustrated right now and need some time to reflect on the current situation to figure out what I am going to do. If any of you have any thoughts or ideas, please give me your two cents. I would much rather do the doom metal band but getting people together to accomplish this task will be difficult. At the same rate, I am not as excited about the band with Aaron, however, it does have a more steady line-up though it is still not complete. I am stumped as to what I should do. As the great doom metal band Buzzoven wrote, "I am at a loss."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Susan M said...

I just posted a reply on my blog to your comment about the Melvins show, I mentioned seeing the Thrones, Joe Preston's one-man band. When I told my friend, a musician, about my reaction (wishing I could do a one-man band) he said, "Yeah, that's the way to go. Go on your own, set up your stuff, and play. No worrying about other band members flaking out or not making practice, do it all on your own!" I never thought about what a committment being in a band can be, timewise, and how you have to rely on other people being responsible as well.

Friday, December 01, 2006 4:38:00 PM  
Blogger Child of Darkness said...

That's a really good idea. That is certainly a viable option.

Sunday, December 03, 2006 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Samurai Jack said...

Bands and bandmates come and go, it is always hard to determine what level of disfunction you want to become involved in

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Child of Darkness said...

Good point.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger hazzy said...

One of the most frustrating things to deal with in a band is a drummer that does not have good meter. DRUMMERS WITH POOR METER SHOULD NOT BE IN BANDS!! Lock yourself in a room with drums and a metronome and do one beat with no fills for 10-20 minutes, then change the meter and do it again and again. Do this for however long it takes to become completely solid. If it takes a day, week, month, year, whatever. Don't come out until your like an atomic clock, if that's not possible, stop drumming forever. Maybe that's a little harsh, but I've recorded bands in the studio that have good music, good vocals everything they need to have a great band, except a solid drummer. Wow he can do a good drum solo, but the song will start at 80bpm and end at 90 or vise versa. LAME! Great drummers that don't overplay are the compass for great music. ALL GREAT BANDS HAVE GREAT DRUMMERS in my opinion! You can't really say that about the other instruments. Nirvana was a great band but Kurt Cobain was not a great guitarist. Dave Grohl is a GREAT drummer!! Anyway I could go on and on!!! ENOUGH.

Thursday, December 07, 2006 5:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home